GoDaddy is reselling the Sucuri firewall as their Website Security package
They don't really do any "monitoring" on your actual server, it's more of a firewall and "fix it" service to clean up after hackers.
Personally I've found the Sucuri tool to be lacking, I've seen it scan a site and call it "clean" when other tools still find infected files.
Sucuri / GoDaddy Security is more of a reactive service, they monitor and block common attacks using their firewall, but they don't actually update or patch your Wordpress site, the theme, 3rd party plugins, etc.
Here's where I pitch my monthly maintenance packages, where I'll go into your Wordpress dashboard, make a backup, install the latest plugin updates, and test it... in my experience it's better to keep the site patched and locked down to begin with. That's the best way to keep the hackers out.
There's also a Wordpress plugin called Wordfence that enables 2FA to your Wordpress dashboard, brute force monitoring, etc... if you want to lock it down even more.
Did you receive a similar email? Below is a copy of the one my client received yesterday:
Sent: Monday, December 5, 2022
To: redacted <redacted>
Subject: Website Security
I was chatting with redacted today and found you don't have security on redacted.com To recap our discussion, in my time working here, I have seen hacked sites that are:
- Re-routed to Chinese, prescription drugs & other malicious sites
- Site content wiped out and replaced with malicious content
- Website files destroyed and other problematic issues.
I get these calls daily. It takes time, energy and money to build your online presence and reputation. Hacking can ruin it quickly.
If you went to a website that re-routed you to malicious material, would you visit that site again? Most people won't.
Every minute your site is down, you're losing customers and sales. Your best line of defense is website security. Our advanced security monitoring and Web Application Firewall (WAF) prevents this type of attack. This plan includes:
Advanced Website Security:
- Firewall prevents hackers from getting in.
- DDoS protection (This attack can bring down your site by overwhelming it with a flood of automated traffic).
- Content Deliver Network (CDN) speed boost - speeds up your website performance by at least 50%.
- Protects one website.
- Daily Malware scanning.
- Unlimited Site Cleanups.
- 25 GB of secure backup - Daily backups of your site content with a rolling 30 days kept on file. If anything happens to your site, you will be protected.
The regular price for this is $240/year. On your first purchase, you get our new product discount. And you can maximize your savings by purchasing up to 10 years at this price (must be paid upfront).
- 10 years: $1,798 (save $600)
- 5 years: $899 (Save $300)
- 3 years: $539 (Save $180)
- 2 years: $359 (Save $120)
Whenever you're ready to move forward, you can just respond to this email with your phone number and I'll give you a call back (you can't call in and reach me directly, but I can call you). My regular work schedule is redacted. I check my email during that time.
I look forward to helping you have a successful and secure online presence! ?
Hosting Development Guide